So I threw something together in 10 minutes for my family and texted Brendan, "Nothing like a nutritious meal of frozen fish sticks and macaroni and cheese after a long day at the office!" Don't overlook the pre-packaged salad. I know to some this may look fine, but I grew up with a mom who cooked three HOT meals a day and NOT from a box. On days like today, I think to myself, "Oh, what would my mom think?" Have I mentioned, I REALLY HATE TO COOK! If we ever hit the jackpot, I'm hiring a chef. Forget a maid...I'll scrub toilets and vacuum the whole house anyday over cooking. I actually enjoy baking, but there's something about making meals that frustrates me to no end. Probably the fact that it takes so long to make it and then it's inhaled and gone in 5 minutes or I get the faces that only picky eaters know how to make! Allison has only three things on her "like" list: Beans, Cheese, and Chocolate, not together of course.
I have been thinking a alot about my mom lately. She and my dad are half way through serving their mission. I miss talking to her every single day...I have never gone more than a month without seeing her, but it's great to be able to email whenever I want. Our entire family terribly misses her mouth-watering Sunday dinners too! I am so thankful for having been raised by such incredible parents who sacrificed every single day so that we didn't have to. I love them and I miss them. And on days like today, I know that I'll never be able to measure up to my mom, but I'm thankful to have her example to help me reach a little higher each day.
12 comments:
What - you mean you are actually normal and not super woman after all? Good to know! We all have those days and I'm glad to see a post about "real life" moms! Your mom must be so amazing. I know I work everyday to at least come close to the type of mom I had, and I too will probably never measure up. But hey - at least we're trying!
meal time. uhg. so difficult to please the little ones.
AMEN!
Baking is way more rewarding then cooking.
Some days it feels like the reward for cooking is ... Dirty dishes.
;-)
Pam
"From scratch" cooking is a thing of the past. Nobody does it anymore. It takes too long, makes too big of a mess, and nobody appreciates it. Hey I boiled a roast in a bag, threw frozen peas in the microwave, and tossed a few potatoes in the oven tonight: 10 minutes prep max; good enough! Your dinner looked great! A salad, that is fancy! When I am busy the family is lucky if the pizza guy shows up.
I just ate lucky charms for dinner if that makes you feel any better. By the way - I'm so glad to see the blog back to traditional Lesley red!
Take away the salad and you're looking at my kids favorite meal! How pathetic is that. I'm beginning to think that grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup is gourmet at our house. I don't mind cooking but I agree that the picky eaters make is hard to enjoy it.
We are used to "quick" meals too, sometimes I'm just glad if I can come up with a side dish to go with the pizza.
I like how Pam put it... the reward for cooking is dirty dishes... so true!!!
We had the missionaries over last night for dinner and I am finding it is more fun to cook for company because they don't complain!
The difference with you Leslie is that this meal the the exception rather than the rule. Whereas at my house it is the other way around!! Meals like this make our kids appreciate our home cooking!
My mac & Cheese NEVER gets a side dish. You are way to hard on yourself. I think cooking is like laundry, it's NEVER done no matter how much you do it!!!!
Hey it doesnt matter what it is if they'll eat it, Its all GOOD!!! Also it looks FANCY! Your a GREAT mom and I think your mom is proud of you. I cant believe they are halfway through their mission thats awesome.
We would be lucky to have that meal! Especially th mac n cheese!YYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM
We would be lucky to have that meal! Especially th mac n cheese!YYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM
Post a Comment