Sunday, July 4, 2010

Everyone's Favorite

I happily concede the title of "Favorite Parent" to Brendan. I try to bribe my kids with homemade cookies, or an announcement for a spontaneous family activity, or a new outfit here and there, but let's face it.....I've got tough competition. Brendan is genuinely just more fun than I am. If I was my own child, I would pick him too! So rather than sulk about coming in at 2nd, I cheer with my kids at having the best husband/dad that we could ever dream of. We're a lucky bunch to have him be a part of our lives. This photo was taken on Father's Day 2010.

Speaking of Father's Day, I just had to add this story that happened that evening. We all went to my brother Ed's house for dinner that evening. His three little kids put on a series of skits/plays in honor of the their dad and grandpa. They practiced all morning and even made tickets to their show. We were all escorted through their booth where Ian handed out tickets with seat numbers printed on them. Taya then guided us to our assigned seats where we found the corresponding numbers on the couches.

They did three little plays, but my favorite was their musical of Three Blind Mice complete with singing and choreography! Afte the grand performance Grandpa handed them each a dollar to "pay" for his ticket (and because we all know how much grandpa genuinely loves to hand out money to his grandkids.) Ian (age 5) looked at his dollar and exclaimed, "A dollar!? That's weak! How 'bout you give me 5 bucks!" Oh man....another Ian classic! After we all calmed down from laughing, grandpa exchanged his dollar for a 5 dollar bill. Ian's smile says it all!

4 comments:

Julie and Carlos said...

Great story! Wished we coulda seen the show!

T Fowler said...

At our house, Dad is a lot more fun that Mom. And, of course, the kids know it. Oh well, someone has to be the bad guy (or girl) sometimes and it is usually Mom.
Father's Day sounded great. What a smart kids Ian is!

Cindy Smith said...

What a fun fathers day! Brendan is a great dad, you are all so blessed to have him... and I'm blessed to get his brother. :)

I remember putting on plays with my cousins too, only we just charged a five cent admission back then!

Debbie Hadley said...

Ian is hilarious! Why didn't Pam and I think to charge money for all our little skits? I love that picture of Brendan with Jake and Allison...he is a great dad!