Friday, April 3, 2009

Allison's new grown up room

Soon after we moved in (almost ten years ago) I spent an entire weekend painting pink and white stripes on Allison's walls. I even remember my neighbors calling and wondering if I was sick because my whole family was at church, but not me. (I've since repented). Point is, it was a lot of work. We have re-decorated it several times since then but I've always tried to figure out how to incorporate the stripes. I just can't bring myself to paint over them.

BEFORE
Allison has had the pink/mint green theme for a few years and she seemed to need a little more grown up look. Afterall, she IS in Jr. High now. So I spent the entire past year buying a few things here and there as I could fit it into the budget and hiding it in our basement. We decided we would do it for her for Christmas. She got a few presents under the tree but had no idea that more was coming. A few days after Christmas our neighbors called her to babysit for the entire evening until about midnight. I saw this as my perfect opportunity to do the makeover!

Her room was the usual disaster zone so it took me an hour or two just to clean and declutter it all! I went through every drawer, every bin under hear bed, every shelf, organized every inch of her TWO closets and threw out 2 large bags of garbage and junk. Don't worry....no privacy issues were compromised and I only threw out crap....not sentimental things that mean something to her only.

By then I was sweating! I ripped open package after package, had Brendan help me move her bed and hang up her black out velvet curtains (had to describe them since I don't have a photo of them), made the bed, vacuumed the room, and then I had to tackle the huge mess I had made in the hall with all the old stuff. Those one hour makeover shows are full of crap! You can't do all that in one hour....I guess if you have a whole crew to help, but still. Thank goodness she got home a little late. We all pretended to be going to bed when she came home. She opened the door to her room and found this....

AFTER

HER LITTLE MAKE-UP TABLE and "BEARY-ANN." Because you can never fully grow up.

She was so surprised! She loved it and was so happy. That was the goal. I'm so happy with the way it turned out. We still need to get her a desk and accessorize her walls, but that's all we can do for now. She has a lot more room to hang out with her friends in there and dance to her music. It's helped motivate her to keep it a little cleaner, but that issue will never be over I'm afraid. I love surprises and I love being sneaky with my family. This was was definitely worth it---and we didn't have to paint over the stripes!

8 comments:

Cindy Smith said...

Very nice! Way to recycle an old look and make it new again!

Dan, Pam and Family said...

What an awesome surprise!
I can't believe her pink stripes have been there 10 years now. They are so-oo cute, I'm glad you keep finding ways to reinvent them for the next stage.
From the pictures it looks like the new room turned out amazing again.
Reorganizing and de-cluttering a room is a ton of work but always gives me a fresh boost. Something about throwing away junk is very cleansing to me.
I'm glad she liked it.
Good work Mom!
Pam

T Fowler said...

Very cute room! I love the black and white quilt with the pink - quite sophisticated! What a relief that she likes it too!

Winnie said...

Good job Leslie! Tres chic!

shana said...

That is sooo cute. I keep seeing the cute black and white with pink accents everywhere and wish there was somewhere I could use it in my house:( Just an FYI Finders Keepers in AF has alot of cute accessories in those colors that are really affordable, and so does Rod Works (50% off your favorite item tommorrow 10-12 and again from 6-9) I have 2 word plaques in that cute print I was thinking of returning, let me know if your interested?--She is totally grown up now, room and all!

coccifamily said...

Looks fabulous! You are a talented woman. Can't wait to go to lunch?

Me, Myself and I said...

SO cute!! LOVE LOVE LOVE The pink and black!! Wish I loved cleaning and de-junking as much as you do! I am sure she LOVES it and it's PERFECT for the brand new teen!!!

Julie and Carlos said...

Oh - memories!!! That was the last time I was with you! You really did a great job incorporating a new hip theme with the same paint. I love how it turned out!