Michele and Gracie introduced me to Paul Cardall's music as it played constantly alongside her crib at the hospital and at home. I had heard of him, but really didn't know much about him or his music. It turns out that Paul was also born with a heart defect almost 36 years ago. He struck up an instant connection and friendship with the Gledhills. So....if you're Michele's friend, you are automatically adopted as my friend too, whether you like it or not.
His music and his life story are both amazing. I love his songs so much that my playlist has turned into my own little Paul Cardall mini concert. We were so fortunate to be able to attend a benefit concert for him this past week entitled Living for Eden (Paul's 3 year old daughter). It was put on by several well known local LDS musicians including Kurt Bestor, Peter Breinholt, Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband, and a few others. The audience was packed with over 3,000 people. Every penny went to Paul and his sweet family to help with medical expenses as he is home waiting for a heart transplant. There was also a silent auction with hundreds of items. I won some cute wrapping paper with matching homemade cards. We tried to bid on BYU football tickets, but didn't win those. Paul has been waiting on the heart transplant list since last August. You can click here to learn more about Paul's heart journey .
It was such a treat to spend the evening with friends listening to all of these incredible musicians. In the middle of the show, Peter Breinholt read an entry from Paul's blog where he wrote about Gracie and dedicated a song to her. Pictures of beautiful little Gracie were shown on the large screens on stage. Tears and sniffles were heard everywhere. It was so special to feel the love and spirit of Gracie all around us.
The musicians ended their performances and tributes to Paul and we were speechless with the talent that had been showcased. Then, out of the blue Paul and his wife and little girl, Eden, got up from the front row and walked up to the stage. I might add, Paul walked a little slowly and with his little oxygen tank close to his side he made it up the stage stairs. His voice was fragile and quiet, but his faith and testimony were loud and strong! He thanked everyone for coming and for their support. Then he reverently spoke about "a little girl named Gracie" that had touched him deeply. He hasn't played the piano much, let alone written a song in over a year because of his health, except for one...Gracie's theme. He walked over to the piano and played it. I have had it one my playlist for a while now, but to hear him play it live was overwhelming. Gracie will live on forever through "HER" song. Michele captured it on video and it's on her blog. If you want to hear it click here.
We are praying for Paul to receive the phone call soon that a heart has come his way. The world needs his music and his family and friends need his presence.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Beautiful music, I hope he can get a heart soon and everything goes well. It's amazing what connections are weaved in life, with the people we know and how it touches us all.
I'm so glad you got to go to that concert. I wanted to go, but I didn't make it. How neat and touching that he played Gracie's theme. I will be praying that Paul gets his transplant.
Post a Comment