Friday, September 18, 2009

Too many choices

I hate having too many choices. Especially when there is no right or wrong. Picking out an ice cream flavor is even difficult for me sometimes.

Years ago, back in ancient times, there was a little book called a journal that most people wrote down their daily happenings and deepest secrets. I used to do that......

Then scrapbooking became more than just sticking photos in magnetic albums. I ripped all mine out of them and started with the fabulous pastel colored cardstock and added a few stickers and yes, even cut my photos into shapes....what was I thinking? But then that became my journal of sorts. I did individual books for each of my 3 kids until they were each about 5 or 6 then started a family scrapbook with lots of great embellishments, nice coordinating paper, and lots of journaling. I used to feel good about that.......

Then this thing called blogging came around and it was so much faster to journal your thoughts and/or events, attach a few photos and Wah-lah! So fun to share with family and friends everywhere. No cost involved (although I will always be secretly addicted to paper. Always have been since I was a little girl.) But you get the idea. Loved it, but was sad to see my scrapbooks and supplies gathering a little dust.

Then this thing called facebook took over the world. At first I couldn't understand why people cared that someone was taking a nap. Or why someone would take the time to say something like, "had a great day shopping. and get tons of comments. Seriously.....didn't get the fascination. But alas, I got hooked. Why take the time to journal, or scrapbook, or blog, when a few sentences and a click to add photos will do? I'm not even going to attempt to look into Twitter. I can't take it! Aaaahh!!!!!

So what to do is the question. Some things are just too private and personal to share that a journal still seems like a good idea once in a while. Scrapbooking will always be a love of mine and I have way too much stuff to just give it up completely. I love blogging because it can eventually be published into a book (if I ever figure that one out) and it's a great way for me to keep up with our many family and friends that don't live close by. But facebook is a fun way to post photos and I love being able to keep in touch with friends and my kids' friends who I may not see very often without having to "bug" them too much. It's been an awesome tool to see what Jordan is up to in college. Going to a weekly email on his mission is going to kill me!

So if anyone has any brilliant ideas as to what choice is best or how to combine them to be more efficient I welcome your comments. It's too much to keep up with and I need to get back to living my life and get off the computer!!!!

7 comments:

Winnie said...

I know what you mean. I'm a slacker on all platforms. I saw on Conan O'Brien the other day when he attempted to combine all these new ways to communicate (You Tube, Twitter, Facebook...) He came up with YouTwitFace.

k8theriver said...

for sure keep blogging.

Julie and Carlos said...

AMEN! I agree completely! I feel too busy to scrap anymore and haven't done ONE page since I've started my blog - yet I feel like I'm "Jounaling" And now that I'm on facebook - I blog less because FB is easier and quicker... and I also have put the red tape at twitter because I can't split my hairs any further!
I love FB to network and stay in touch but it won't be something lasting... I haven't decided whether to publish my blogs or to pull out my scrapping supplies - also rather dusty. Maybe I need a couple good midnight crops to get the juices flowing again... although I have considered (HUSH HUSH going digital and throwing a couple embellishments on my pages and calling it good.
I'm going to come back and read your comments! I'm in the exact same boat! And by the way Winnie - I'm totally laughing at YouTWitFace!!!!

♥Stef said...

Okay here is my two cents :o)
1. Facebook is SO great for keeping in touch with friends, that is it. Keep it up!
2. Blogs are great because, as you said, it is fast and easy. I find myself recording things that I would normally forget. I plan on using my blog as a refrence for when I scrapbook later.
3. Learn Photoshop and start to digial scrapbook!
I am afraid I will never, cut, glue, hammer, stamp, chalk etc... Even though I think paper scrapbooking looks THE best, digital is sooo much easier, and probably is going to take over!
Good Luck!

Marci said...

I agree with Stef. :) I looooove scrapbooking, but blogging is just so much easier. And I think sometimes I am so much more detailed on my blog than in my scrapbooks, because I am writing about what happens as it happens. I hope you find a way to keep up with it all . . . and when you figure it out, let us know how you do it!

Cindy Smith said...

I never really did get into scrapbooking because I knew my kids would just get into everything and destroy it all, and that's why I've loved blogging, not much damage they could do there. I've tried to make Sundays my blogging day but it seems like lately it takes me forever to catch up on emails and facebook and the blog has been a bit neglected lately. I see some people just post their blog address on facebook and I guess that could be one way to kill two birds with one stone, maybe if I get brave enough I'll do that.

♥ Michele ♥ said...

I too am laughing at the YouTwitFace.........SO FUNNY!!! Well, I am not much of a Facebooker even though most people are. I feel like Facebook is for pure entertainment, keeping up on some people who are important and others who are mainly 'virtual' friends, if it enriches your life, keep it up.

Blogging however, is a personal history. It doesn't go away like Facebook does. Printing your blog into a book will be priceless for years to come.

If you have time after all that facebooking and blogging, I agree with my sista, you should pick up Photoshop and start digi scrapping! I have yet to do it but it is on the horizon for me. I will always love the look of paper scrapbooking but I think it is starting to run it's course. It simply takes too much time. Time that will be hard to come by the busier we get with each passing year of our lives.

Good luck and let us all know if you find something that works!