Friday, May 21, 2010

May in Review

We started out May with continued cold weather and even some snow! Kinda getting tired of it all. But we had lots of other fun things to make up for it.

Nicole's birthday was one of our first celebrations of the month. It was so fun to see her face when she opened up a birthday card and present which she thought was from me, but was actually one Jordan had left behind for her months ago before he left! Priceless!

Our Cinco de Mayo family party was a hit with homemade cafe rio food, a pinata, and our annual baseball game. Brian decided to pay his respects to his Arab heritage as well, I guess, ha ha! It wouldn't have been complete without the guys' mexican yell....

Mother's Day was the best ever. We had a great morning at church. Jake made us all lunch. I was so happy to get a surprise visit from a long lost friend, Allison made us all dinner, and then we enjoyed every minute of our two hour phone call from our missionary in Guatemala! Being a mom really paid off that day! I was reminded of a mother's day poem that Jake wrote me last year that ended with, "I love you more than a fat boy loves cake!"

Allison and her friends had fun at her school's 8th grade graduation/recognition night. She's technically still in Jr. High, but next year she will officially start her high school transcript....my baby!!!!!!!

Jake came home from school so excited to show me the sky and took this photo! What a beautiful sight!

Look what I hauled home for $31.00 with my couponing deals!!

We attended a day long multi cultural event at BYU geared for 8th - 10th graders. The kids split up into different activities and workshops divided by grades and Brendan and I went to the parent classes. Allison's group made wooden cars that will be sent to children all over the world!

It was a lot of fun and good information about all the opportunities and requirements to attend BYU and especially programs offered by the multi cultural department. Allison said, "But how come I'm here? I'm not hispanic." We said, "Yes you are. You are 1/2 hispanic." She replied, "Na uh! Jake is, but I'm not." Hmmmm......same parents but different ethnicity? We had to explain to her just because Jake has darker hair and skin than she does, doesn't mean he's part hispanic and she's not. Maybe BYU might be a little too high for her to aim for right now. Ha ha!!! Just kidding!!!!!!
Look who else graduated this month!! Our cute little Ian (my nephew) graduated from Kids Village preschool. He was quiet and shy, but his smile and big brown eyes just melt my heart! I love that little guy so much!!! Sad that he's getting so big.

End of the school year activities are coming up next week and we also are so excited to welcome my parents back from their 3 month mission to Chile! Allison is busy getting ready for her end of the year "Big Show" for dance and earning money for her summer tour. I realized that there aren't a lot of photos of what Jake has been up to this past month. He hasn't been around much to take any pictures. But this last photo will give you an idea of where he spends his time afterschool 4 to 5 times a week.........

8 comments:

Holli said...

You had a fun filled busy month!

Kasey said...

Jimmie and I are ROTFL! Jimmie thought you were Miss Hispanic Utah in the late 80's? :)

♥ Michele ♥ said...

Absolutely love that golf photo!! Did you take it? It looks professional!

I am loving that quote from Jake about the fat boy loving cake....I am going to have to use that one!

Anonymous said...

What a great entry!!! I am still laughing at Jakes card and REALLY laughing at Allison not realizing that she is part Hispanic! That was too cute!
Bonnie

Debbie Hadley said...

You took some great Cinco de Mayo pics! Looks like I need to go couponing with you. I just haven't had the time to do much with coupons. Allison cracks me up! I can't believe she will be in 9th grade! I love the picture that Jake took...very cool!

Cindy Smith said...

So much we miss out on, I'm glad we can at least catch a glimpse through your blog. A little sad Chris can't be there to join in the Cinco de Mayo yell.
I've been trying out that couponing stuff, I'm afraid I'm not as good as you, but I am good at finding a heckuva good deal at garage sales though. :)
Your kids are so funny, jakes card and Allison's confusion about her ethnicity...
Thanks for keeping us posted!

Julie and Carlos said...

Loved the updates! Had to laugh at Allison's comment... I guess that means that Gavin is caucasian and Taylor is hispanic at our house.

Julie and Carlos said...

Loved the updates! Had to laugh at Allison's comment... I guess that means that Gavin is caucasian and Taylor is hispanic at our house.