Friday, February 1, 2008

Mom and Dad's mission farewell

We spent last weekend cleaning and re-arranging our house in preparation for my mom and dad's farewell brunch/open house. I did their invitations and we sent out over 50, not including their current ward members so we were expecting a large crowd. We stayed up late last Saturday making egg casseroles and all the final little details. Their farewell was at 9 a.m. the next morning. My mom asked me to be in charge of giving headphones to all the non-spanish speaking guests. I was so touched by my parents' testimonies and their excitement to serve. My mom paid a beautiful tribute to my grandma and said that she was serving this mission to say thank-you to our Heavenly Father for her many blessings and for all the mercies that He showed to Teta during her last few months. They had been planning to go a few years back, right when Teta got sick so it was a blessing that they were still here for that and postponed putting their papers in. My dad's tender emotions touched us all and I just know how great he'll be in helping and serving. Our house was filled to capacity and beyond with all of their friends and past ward members that came to support them. I'm so glad that we had enough food. They have had so much fun this past week at the MTC. They loved being with all the Elders and being a part of the MTC family. They have been able to come home each evening afer dinner so it's been nice to not have to say good-bye for good yet. Last night was especially fun because it was my mom's birthday. I made her a pumpking/cream cheese roll. I had prayed for weeks to know what to get her. She can't take more "stuff" with her and already has all that she needs. The night before her birthday I had the thought to buy her a locket that she could wear while on her mission and put Teta's picture in it. I found the perfect one at Kohl's with Teta's birthstone on the outside. I was so grateful fo that inspiration.

No comments: