Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jamestown April 15th






Our main purpose for this trip was to learn about US History which we all really love. Our first full day we spent at Jamestown Settlement. It was the first place that our forefathers settled in this new land. We saw several movies depicting their early life here and went through a great museum there. The outside "colony" was really fun as we got to see how they lived (and died). We also got to go on three ships which were replicas of the ones they sailed from England. One of them was actually sailed to Jamestown from England in 1985 to bring it to this site for permanent display. I don't know how anybody could travel under those conditions across the Atlantic for 4 to 5 months! It sure made us grateful to the founders of this country. That night we went on a nighttime "Ghost tour" around the colonial town of Williamsburg. We walked the streets while our guide walked with a lantern and told us true "ghost" stories that have happened there. It wasn't too scary, but it was fun and our guide was really funny too.

1 comment:

Winnie said...

That looks so fun! I'm definitely going to Jamestown and Yorktown next time I'm there! I've always wondered about ghost tours, they sound so intriguing. I think if we would have done that though, Emma wouldn't be able to sleep (therefore I wouldn't be able to sleep) for a few days!