Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Our handsome Eagle Scout!

Jake received his Eagle Scout rank last Sunday at a Court of Honor just for him! He had been gone all week at Scout Camp so Brendan and I missed him even more as we were busy looking through his scrapbooks for pictures for his slideshow. It's been a long road, but one that Jake has really embraced. A few people commented that it takes an active mom to get their boy to an Eagle, but I really can't take much credit. Ya, I organized a few things for Jake, but he really did it all without much help and without any nagging. He's a great little worker and prioritizer. It was a great evening with family and friends.


It almost didn't happen though. Jake got home from Scout camp Saturday morning completely sick. We had been up at the camp Friday for family night and after seeing the mucky lake that they swam in all week, I'm not surprised! He was sick (you know, coming out both ends sick) all day Saturday and Sunday. Brendan gave him a blessing to be able to make it to his Court of Honor. I just prayed all day that he could be better for just an hour. At about 6:30, he felt well enough to get up and get dressed. He was able to feel fine to really enjoy his night and gave a great talk. As soon as it was over and we were having refreshments he started feeling sick again so Jordan drove him home while we cleaned up and he was sick for a few more days, but for that hour at least, he was fine!

One of the cutest moments was when Jake gave flashlights to his next oldest cousins on both sides, Noah and Toby. He challenged them to continue the tradition and get their own Eagles and one day pass the flashlights on in the family.

8 comments:

Winnie said...

Congratulations on the Eagle Scout, I know you had to work really hard to get it!

It's amazing how The Lord's tender mercies work, I'm so glad you were able to make it to the Court of Honor.

I love how Jordan got to give him the oath, you have some great sons!

Cindy Smith said...

Congratulations Jake! That really goes to prove the power of prayer too, I'm glad he felt fine long enough to enjoy his big night.

Lisa Loeffler said...

Wow!!!! Congratulations on all your hard work Jake! Also, I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said that it takes an incredible mother to get your son to be an Eagle Scout - because that's you, Les! Congratulations to you both! You must be soooo proud!

bunkerfamily said...

Jake,
I am so Proud of you. I only wish I could of been there. Riley said it was a great night. I am so grateful for your testimony of prayer I know that our Heavenly Father answers them and what a special experience to have had that on the day you received your Eagle. Way to go Jake!
Love ya,
Heidi

shana said...

Congratulations on all your hard work!! We are just starting on the road to an Eagle Scout with Spencer and it looks like a LONG, HARD road, but well worth it!! I agree it takes a great mother to help their boys become Eagles, however, my youngest brother did it all on his own without a mother, so I know there are boys out there that are driven and accomplish things on their own (without a ton of nagging). That is a great attribute to have,--something that will help you your entire life. Congrats Jake!

Melissa said...

Jake - you are turning into one handsome dude! We are so proud of you for achieving this great honor in your life. It takes so much hard work and dedication and we know you will be a better person for it. We're so glad for the power of the priesthood so that you could feel well during your Court of Honor! Congratulations!

Debbie Hadley said...

We are so proud of you Jake! What a great example you are!

Julie and Carlos said...

Congrats Jake! You are an amazing young man!