How do I even begin this post? How can I convey what it has been like for me to watch one of my very closest friends go through such a trial in her life with her cherished baby? How does anyone put into words the deep emotions that I have felt over this sweet baby girl? I have loved her before she was born and I will love her forever.
Gracie was born on March 20, 2008 with a broken little heart, but a perfect little soul. She underwent her first of three scheduled heart surgeries at four days old. All went as planned until 7 hours post surgery, she crashed and was put on life support (ECMO). Her family spent the next week and a half at her side praying for a miracle. They said their goodbyes and Gracie surprised even the most experienced doctors as her heart began to work. She spent the next 3 months in the hospital until she was finally well enough to come home to her beautiful loving home where she was adored by her two brothers and sister. Michele has documented each step of the journey in Gracie's blog.
Gracie's second surgery to continue to repair her heart was scheduled in November last year, but it was discovered through a lengthy cath. procedure that her heart was not strong enough for it. Her heart held on until February when the surgery became urgent. Again, her heart cath came back with the same problems. Her only hope would be a heart transplant. She was sent home to wait for the call. The next day it was discovered that her left side wasn't moving. Tom and Michele rushed her back up to Primary's. Her heart had begun to fail and her rapid loss of blood pressure had caused her to have something similar to a stroke. After several critical days, she was stabalized and put at the top of the list for a new heart. She would have to wait in the hospital until one became available. After only 3 days Michele got the call! I wasn't home and she left me a message with the news on my answering machine which I can't bear to delete. Her voice was the happiest I had heard her since she found out she was having a girl!
Gracie received her transplant on February 22, 2009. Everything was going well, until they unclamped the new heart and the left side didn't work! It's impossible to describe the range of emotions from sheer elation to devastation in less than 24 hours! She came out of the surgery on the ECMO machine AGAIN. This time, she was unable to recover. I had the beautiful and sacred experience of kissing her sweet little head as I whispered my goodbyes at the hospital last night. Such a peaceful spirit is felt in her presence.
Later today Tom and Michele will have to do the hardest thing any parent will ever be faced with. They will be turning everything off and say goodbye to their angel for the last time in this life (just 18 days before her one year old birthday and two days before her Daddy's birthday) She is my little hero. She has been SO STRONG and SO BRAVE! I love her so much. She knew exactly what her mission in life would be and was willing to come despite all the pain and all the restrictions. Her life literally touched thousands of people even though she spent 99% of her days either in the hospital or inside her home.
Her life is a testimony that God loves us and hears our prayers and grants miracles everyday! Some of those miracles happened in her life. Some of those miracles happened in the lives of all of us who loved her.
Some people who hadn't prayed in a long time, or maybe even ever, were reminded of the powers of heaven and brought to their knees.
Some people who had taken life for granted, hugged their children a little tighter each night.
Others who may have been struggling financially realized that they still had what was most important.
Some people whose marriages were detriorating were given second chances when they understood the importance of celestial marriage and eternal families.
Many, many people had their faith and testimonies strengthened that peace and comfort comes from turning to the Lord. That He has a plan for each of us. Sometimes it's what we want. Sometimes it's completely opposite. Sometimes we come to understand why. And sometimes we may never know. He died so that we can all return 'home' again. He lives and Gracie lives too! What a gift she has been in all of our lives. How blessed we were to be in the presence of such a perfect little spirit. I can just picture the reunion parties being planned in her heavenly home and the shouts of "Gracie's back" echoing through Heaven. She will finally have a complete and perfect heart and for that knowledge I am so grateful. May we be worthy to see her again someday.
I love you Gracie.
Thank you Michele, for letting me be a part of your life. Thank you for helping me see how blessed I am. Thank you for your friendship, your example, your faith, and your strength. Chance made us neighbors, luck made us friends, God made us sisters.
Please keep the Gledhills in your prayers today.



13 comments:
Leslie,
What an inspired and beautiful tribute.
It's awesome that my life has been touched by this family and their sweet baby that I never met in this life.
My prayers and thoughts are with this special family.
Pam
I can hardly read through my tears. Your post is so perfect, so right on. Thank you for sharing your beautiful and cherished Gracie moments. I am inspired and lifted up by your words on a day that is filled up with so much sadness. We are all so blessed to have had Gracie in our lives, and also blessed to have the Gledhills example. I cannot imagine where they find the strength. But I feel blessed to know them and their sweet Gracie. She really has helped me in ways I cannot verbalize. What an angel. Thanks for your sweet tribute. I will read it over and over.
Okay Leslie, I am baaaaawling. I wrote a note to the Gledhills to thank them for inspiring me to be grateful for the children in my life despite the challenges they may bring. I hope you are doing okay too. I know that you were very close to this sweet little baby.
Hugs,
Julie
Leslie, I have never even met this sweet little angel, but I feel like I've known her through your posts and things you've told me about her. My heart just broke when I read the heading to this post, we were all praying for her, but Heavenly Father must have greater things in mind. Reading your post took me back to the days when we were dealing with our own little broken hearted baby, and as I look across the room at him now, I realize how truly blessed I am, life is so fragile.
Thank you for your beautiful tribute to such a great little spirit.
What a beautiful tribute to Gracie's life and your amazing friendship with Michelle. It is such a hard day today for so many people who were touched by Gracie, but your post brought me great peace. Thank you!
My heart is broken for Gracie's family, but I am so grateful for the eternal perspective we have. I just pray they will have the Spirit close to them to provide the comfort they will need through this hard time. They are in my prayers.
I read Gracie's Blog last night and just started bawling. I can't imagine how hard this last year has been for her family. We have been praying for them and will continue to pray for them. What a beautiful tribute you wrote. I'm so glad that you had a chance to be a part of Gracie's life. Thanks for letting us be a part of it too. I feel so blessed.
I cannot even begin to put into words the effect that little Gracie had on my life. My daughter was born with multiple disabilities, while her heart is in good condition many other things are wrong with her, I have watched my daughter lay in a coma for two weeks because of breathing difficulties, she only weighed 1 pound and 13 ounces at birth. Reading the blog about Gracie was an honor, praying about Gracie was an honor. I don't even know how I came upon Gracie's Mom's blog but I am glad I did. My prayers are with your family as they struggle through this difficult time.
Christina ( a preemie mom )
alicen_red_one@yahoo.com
What a beautiful and cherished relationship you had with that precious baby girl! This post was so well-written and obviously heartfelt and inspired. I hope you are okay...
Leslie thankyou for sharing that! There really is so much that I take for granted every day. My girls have been really sick and I thought the other day I hate when my babies are sick it is so sad and tiring! Readind your blog made me totally change my attitude about it all. I am so thankful that I have wonderful children and a wonderful husband. I am so thankful for every mintue that I get to send with them. Life really is to short!!! I am going to look back and miss these moments. I feel so horrible that here I am taking it for granted and Gracie's family only had her for so little time. It really isn't fair that they have to leave this earth so early! My heart goes out to their family! It is so hard to loose someone that you love so much! It does get better with time but the void never goes away. You wish they could be here to share lifes joys!!! I love you all!! I will pray for you and Gracie's family to have peace during this time.
Thanks for your thoughts, You have a way with words (I am crying again of course). Gracie will be in many hearts for the duration and an angel to Michele forever.
Leslie:
Words cannot express the love and admiration Connie and I have for your wonderful friendship to Michele. The devotion you showed to her and Gracie is truely Christlike. You and Jenny were always right there. Connie and I will remember and love you forever.
Gary
Leslie,
You don't know me, but I blog stalked you from Gracie's blog. Just wantd to say that I am soo jealous that you got to hold that precious little angel. I've followed her from the beginning, and feel like I know her.
What a beautiful family you have!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I wish I would have had those 2 hours to spend with Gracie. What a blessing!!
Post a Comment