Friday, June 6, 2008

Family Preparedness

After weeks of preparation and planning, we were finally able to come together as a family to assemble our 72 hour kits. We live in such an amazing neighborhood and I was inspired by a goal that we set as friends to get our supplies and get ready! I thought we kind of had ones already only to discover that the only thing I was able to salvage from them were a few toothbrushes and combs. Why would anyone have a can of "potted meat product" in their kits. I wouldn't have fed our nasty stuff to a dog! Obviously it was time to re-do them after 10 years or so...even our lotion was spoiled. I won't let that happen again. I now have a plan and real stuff! I spent several days researching and organizing what we needed, where to buy it, what to do with it, how to rotate it, and how to pay for it. I won't go into the long story, but let me just say that our Heavenly Father really blessed us to do this. We have been really tight lately in the finance department, but miracles fell into place to allow this to happen. It was wonderful!
I could have just assembled each person's backback, but I felt that it was important that everyone do their own so they know exactly what's in it, what it's all for, and how to use it. I labeled plastic ziploc bags of different sizes with all of it's contents and then each person filled them up.

It was actually kind of fun! Jake said that it felt like Christmas. They were especially excited when I showed them the rotation schedule and when they get to eat the food that we put away so that it stays fresh. I know it's meant to sustain us for 72 hours, but in "real life" it's just a few snacks that will be devoured in a day!
I told them that even though it's kind of fun to do this and it was a lot of work to put it all together, I hope that we NEVER have to use any of it.

6 comments:

Brian and Kristin Barlow said...

Way to go!! I agree, we live in a great neighborhood. I have loved having support and ladies to talk to about this huge undertaking. I can't believe all the stuff when it is laid out!I am so happy for you that you are done and on a schedule. I have a few loose ends and hope to see you on the finish line soon!!

Debbie Hadley said...

Way to go Smith family! Leslie you are SO organized! I love how into food storage and emergency prepardness you are b/c it inspires me. Thank you!

Sarah said...

k, first of all.. What in tarnation is "Potted Meat Product" that was so funny and so discusting!! I can only imagine what's in that. it'd probably kill you faster then keep you alive... I'm SOOOO impressed! thanks for the motivation. It just goes to show that when we try to keep the Lords commandments he helps us find a way!

Sarah said...

and.. did you have some kind of list of things to put in it?? or did you just think of it all. I'd love know what's in those! or at lest the things I might not think of. you are a pure genius!

Julie and Carlos said...

Okay you are inspirational! Just so you know I finally found an emergency supply store in our state - drove out to it and bought an emergency water barrel, a fire hydrant, a butane stove etc. Hallelujah,I don't have to order and ship all that! I've oredred food storage and I'm hoping for my brother to drive out dry milk from Utah (they don't sell it in the stores here - have to order it from utah or Idaho and pay double when you add in shipping that heavy stuff) It's amazing that when you really commit to doing what the Lord asks of you he opens up opportunities to make it possible.
oh - and I like the idea of getting the kids involved. And by the way, I happen to adore potted meat product....

Melissa said...

You go girl! How awesome that you are done - isn't it the best feeling? I agree about the hope you never have to use it part but it sure gives you peace of mind having them. Our neighborhood is great - I love that we can all push each other and work together to be our best!