Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Flashback or Flashdance?


Allison's 6th grade group did their dance festival routine to "The Evolution of Dance" which was made popular on You Tube. Anyway, they asked the kids to dress in clothes from the 50's, 60', 70's or 80's! Of course Allison "forgot" to show me the paper with all the details. She remembered to tell me about it literally 15 minutes before she was walking out the door to school that morning! She didn't want to wear her 50's costume because she had just worn it for the music program. So I started racking my brain and remembered that I had a box of all my old dance clothes from high school at the bottom of my closet somewhere. We ran up the stairs and tore through the boxes until we found it. You can't get more authentic than REAL 80's clothes. I found an old headband, leg warmers, parachute pants, and off the shoulder leotard. She was cracking up at the thought of people actually doing their hair in a high side ponytail. I went on many dates with my hair like that. SAD! I didn't have the "flashdance" sweatshirt so we found an old sweatshirt of Allison's that she never wears and put the scissors in action! Wa-la! Instant 80's outfit in 10 minutes! Another "Whew" moment --done! The only things we were missing were the Reebok high tops and big plastic earrings! I was so busy video taping the dance that I wasn't able to do pictures too. I got a few afterwards inside the school. Oh what we moms do to capture these memories!

2 comments:

Winnie said...

I saw Alison at the dance festival and I thought, "Hey look at Alison. She's like, totally tubular. Oh my gosh!" You did a great job, she looks most authentic. Actually come to think of it, it's a little scary too.

Debbie Hadley said...

Love the outfit and the hair! I can't believe you still had those clothes....hilarious! Gotta love the 80's!