As mentioned before, my bow business has been dwindling a little (well, actually a lot) these past few years. Being invited to have a booth of my products at this exhibit was a great opportunity, but I worried about the pros and cons until I was just about sick to my stomach.
If I did go, I might get a TON of business which is what most people would think the whole point is, but I do these bows all by myself. I don't have a warehouse and several employees whipping out bows for me. I know, I know....."Why not?"....you might ask. The potential to make a huge amount of money is right at my fingertips just waiting. But that is not my goal. My first priorities and commitments are to my husband and my kids. My friends and extended family are right behind them. My duties in my calling and service to my neighbors are also huge. I like having the time to cook dinner for my family each night (I said the "time" to cook, not the actual chore of cooking.) It's huge for me to go to each of my boy's football and basketball games and all the activities that go with that. I want to be able to be there to take Allison to dance in Provo twice a week. I want to be home when they get home. I want to be able to help with homework and projects. I want to be able to be there when they are home sick, even though they are old enough to take care of themselves now. I want to be there 100% for Brendan when he gets home so that he feels loved and needed and appreciated for his long days at work.
In my own little humble opinion, money is important for the necessities of life and a few comforts and I am so blessed and lucky to be married to a wonderful man who works hard to provide all of that and so much more for our family! For me, excessive amounts is NOT something that I long for. Sure it would be so fun to go on fabulous vacations and not have to save and budget for them for a year. Sure I would LOVE a closet full of new clothes (believe me I would REALLY LOVE that). Sure I would love to be able to write out a check to pay for college tuition in full for my kids. But those things wouldn't bring me the joy that I seek. I have been blessed with so much, but having the mental ability to give myself 110% at home and still have enough brain cells to juggle a real business is not one of them. I know that if I started a business that was making some serious money, I would NOT be any happier. In fact, I know that I would most likely be less happy because the things that bring me real joy would have to pay a price. In no way am I dogging any working mother out there or anybody who runs a successful business. I stand up and applaud you for being able to do that. I wish I could do that, but it's not who I am.
So as I sat there at my little Princess Bows booth at this exhibit, I made some observations about those around me, but especially about myself. There were real professionals there marketing all sorts of kid's products and there were some mom's like me just trying to make extra money. There were other bow vendors there....specifically this one lady from Texas that has pretty much dominated the entire bow business of Kid to Kid. She had two huge tables with thousands of bows displayed. She was giving each owner a bag to fill with whatever free samples they wanted. She was loud and in your face and a really good salesperson. She had everybody at her booth and she must have had at least $50,000 in orders placed with her. Contrast back now to me who sat there feeling like a fish out of water. My personality is so much the opposite of what every good salesperson should be. I had a decent display but this was an exhibit and so I didn't have quantities to sell. She was the only one that did that.
I can't forget to be thankful for having been blessed to drive up to the Universtiy of Utah campus Marriott Hotel and back home in safety. It was slushy and it was snowy and I was taking deep breaths the whole time as I tried to conquer my fear of driving in heavy traffic on the freeway but I did it.
Man, I am such a whimp! I would never survive out
there in the real world. But that's ok. I am a wife. I am a
mother. I am a sister. I am a daughter. I
am an aunt. I am a friend. I have tears streaming
down my cheeks as I ponder what each of those roles
mean to me and the many people in my life that I love so
much! If I can just concentrate on trying to improve on
being better in those areas I am happy.
9 comments:
Leslie,
You are incredible! I think you know what is really important in the whole scheme of things. You may not have made 50,000 dollars that day but you have family and friends that adore you for just you.
It's nice to hear your perspective on that, I feel the same way about taking pictures--maybe someday it will be a priority, but for now those cute little girls on your table are my focus:) (oh yeah, and those other two stinky boys. You have your priorities in the right place that's for sure, and we love you for that!
You are such a good writer!! Well said. I think a lot of us feel just like you, we don't have to look anywhere other than in our own home for what will make us truly happy in this life. Your kids are lucky to have you as a mother.
Leslie, you are a great sister and a wonderful example to me. I hope everything works out with the lead testing. I think your booth looked great! I'm glad you have enough business to keep you busy without overwhelming you.
I know that my girls and I sure LOVE your bows!...Thank you!
Oh Leslie, what an awesome post, I just wanna reach through the computer and give you a huge hug.
It takes a lot of courage and strength to put family first in todays world.
You are an awesome example!
And I'm really glad to hear you found a working solution to deal with the new laws, I know you will be blessed for being diligent and honest.
Loves,
Pam
Thank you for this post, I really enjoyed your insights. I can totally relate to feeling out of place with stuff like that, and like you, am grateful to have a man who works hard so I can be with the kids.
I hope everything works out with your bows, we'll pray for an amendment so you don't have to pay for so much testing.
INSPIRATIONAL!! How blessed I am to know the You - WHO YOU ARE!! Wouldn't change a THING!! I am glad that your booth worked out - I know you were stressed out....so I am glad that you are glad with the outcome!! Open Windows!! Something I am thankful for!! Love you for you....always have, always will!!
Leslie - I'm so glad that it worked out for you! Big hugs - Julie
Very well said. I'm so glad I live in an area where so many women feel that way. It shows. Your kids and Brendan have at it good from the sounds of things. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt stuff along with your business stuff.
Post a Comment