Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just trying to be obey the rules

Jake is such a sweetheart (most of the time) and rarely asks for much. So when he makes a request, I feel obligated to honor it. Within reason, of course. Well, he set down the ground rules for me about football games. Absolutely no photos before the game and then only after the games IF they win. Well, I have been getting a little sad because it hasn't looked like I would get any photos this whole season.

Last night was no exception. In fact, it was turning out to be a blowout. So how did I end up being able to take photos? Jake got to go in as receiver and made a great catch and ran the ball about 5 yards! We all know he got a 1st down, but the refs called it short by inches. He was so excited and proud of himself that he was all for taking a picture or two.
Jake and his sideline buddy, Lucas Draney.
These are two of my favorite boys in the whole world.
After sitting on the sidelines ALL season, he was thrilled to not only actually play in a game, but to have a great catch. It's not that he's not good, it's just that his team consists of a lot boys that are the size of Jordan and it's hard for a little guy like him to get noticed sometimes. He was happy to overhear one of the assistants ask the Head coach, "Why haven't we played him yet?" Hopefully he'll get more opportunites in the future because he will sacrifice whatever he can to make a catch or get up field. What he lacks in height he makes up for in heart and desire. He gives it his all in practice every single day. Brendan coached Jake's teams for 7th and 8th grade and says that Jake is a better quarterback than Jordan, but because he can't see over the line (yet), he doesn't get to play that position. (I'm so sorry Jake...it's all my fault. Not much height to contribute from my gene pool.) When one of his teammates makes a good tackle, or pass, or catch, or run...Jake is the first one on the sidelines to be there to give them a pat on the helmet and say "good job." Every team needs someone like Jake. We're so proud of him for sticking through a tough season and pray for a little growth spurt this winter.

2 comments:

Debbie Hadley said...

Oh come on Jake, we want to see pictures! Way to make a great catch!

Melissa said...

Great pictures. I'm glad you got them and I'm sure he has many great (and active) seasons to come!