A few of us "Senior Moms" scrambled all day to make this last game day just a little more special than normal. It was crazy for me because I had to also drive Allison all the way down to dance at Timpview High School in the middle of all the prep. work, but Brendan's mom and dad came to rescue and were so great to pick her up afterward and bring her to the stadium so that I didn't have to miss any of the actual game.
We all tried to be positive, but we knew that a win was mostly likely not going to happen as we were playing Pleasant Grove who were already the region champs and had only lost one game all year. But that wasn't the point of the night. Again, Jordan would disagree, but since I'm the one writing this blog, you get MY perspective.
There really isn't much about the actual game to be excited about so I'll focus on the other stuff through the following photos.
Jordan sat by his "brothers" and by Janice who is adored by everyone. She has been their trainer (physical therapist) for the last 3 years and is the one responsible for taping them, icing them, massaging them, and being a great friend. They call her the miracle worker.
Each senior gave their mom flowers and a little smooch and then they received a black duffel bag with Lehi Football, their name and number embroidered on it. There are 31 graduating members of the team and it took the whole length of the field to line everybody up.
Tears of love and sadness starting coming out of everyone's eyes after the game. The team huddled together one last time under the "L" for a photo. I tried to take a few more personal photos, but most came out too dark or blurry. There weren't too many smiles on any faces.
These last two photos probably mean the most. Jordan and Bo have been really close since 6th grade tackle football started (back in the day there was only flag football until 6th grade). Jordan was always the quarterback and Bo was the center so their teamwork was essential to every game. Don't ask me why Bo took off his jersey. He's the nicest kid ever and not the scary dude that appears in the photo. Bo's Dad also coached them, along with Brendan, from 6th to 9th grade so this friendship is extra special. And then the last photo is tender because it's of Jordan walking off the Lehi field for the last time.
We still have the team banquet for all the players and their parents to plan and look forward to next month, but the main part is all over. The worst part is not being able to say, "See you all next season."
7 comments:
so sad. i played sports in highschool and a bit at dixie and i miss organized sports. i play ward ball and on rec teams but it is never the same as those days of regular practice and knowing your teammates and plays, etc.
i wish him luck in his decisions.
Hey Jordan, this is a very proud Uncle Carlos who just wants to say that I love you and and great job this season. I wish I could have gone to all your games like everyone else, but know that I followed your mom's blog with anticipation to hear about your games. High School is such an awesome part of life, truly unforgettable, fun, and flies by way too fast. But remember that even more amazing times are coming up all too soon.
Ok, be good, and I'll see ya at Christmas
It was fun to read all the details about the last game. I'm so glad Jordan has a lot to look forward to. It's like finishing the last chapter of a really good book...you are sad it's over, but there are many more great books out there just waiting to be read.
Thanks for sharing such a bittersweet experience with us. Jordan is a great kid! You should be (as I know you are) so proud of him.
I can't imagine how it would be to say goodbye to all those fun times of watching your son play as the QUARTERBACK of his high school team. Wow, what a fun ride you guys have had. Jordan is a great kid and has a great future ahead of him!!
It's hard to believe it's over, what a hard thing that must be, but like Debbie says, I'm sure there are plenty of "good books" yet to come. We have enjoyed all the updates and will miss them.
Wow - what an amazing end to a stage in your lives. Jordan will always have such great memories of his senior football year and how supportive his parents were. Hope you get to have similarly wonderful memories with Jake!
Post a Comment