Thursday, October 9, 2008

Never thought I'd say this...

...but I LOVE texting!
After a few years of watching Jordan, and now Jake, compulsively hit the keys on their cells phones nonstop each evening I was ready to scream! It drove me crazy that they would be carrying on "conversations" with multiple people at the same time and never actually "talked" to any of them. It has been a blessing that Jordan's girlfriend doesn't have a cell phone so he has been forced to learn to use his voice for communication.

Anyway, it's been so fun to learn how to text even though my kids roll their eyes at how slow I am. I'm amazed at how I can get a long response from my kids before I have even had time to close my phone.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that it's a great tool to keep in touch with your teenagers. Jordan and Jake text me at least once or twice every single day with news about how they did on a test, news from school, to let me know of change of plans, and even to share heart felt personal experiences and struggles. Sometimes we'll talk about it later, but sometimes it's a long conversation back and forth through buttons on our cell phones filled with questions and advice and a feeling of love and understanding. When Jordan leaves on his mission I'm going to really miss our "daily text chats" just as much as I'm going to miss seeing him. Brendan and I have a great time sending "notes" to each other too! LOVE IT!!!

Like with anything these days, there are some down sides and we are still making Allison wait a while longer before she can have one of her own. I know, mean Mom!

4 comments:

Dan, Pam and Family said...

I love texting as well.
My kids are way too little to carry phones yet, but I imagine it would be a huge comfort to send a quick message to check on a teenager.
And I imagine sometimes they would be willing to text a few lines about something that would otherwise go unsaid.
Pam

♥ Michele ♥ said...

Okay, you know how you are always saying you are behind me in the technology department? Well you have one up on me in the texting department, I don't even have texting capabilities on my phone!! When Max is a teenager I will call you for a tutorial!

Cindy Smith said...

I text with Chris occasionally but always forget which buttons edit what, and end up with half my message in CAPS or saying "I'm at good" instead of "I'm at home".

Debbie Hadley said...

I'm a little behind the times with texting. It drives me nuts b/c I'm so slow. I guess I just need more practice, or a better phone. B.T.W., you are not a mean mom, just a RESPONSIBLE PARENT!