Allison's been telling me for a few weeks that she sits in the back of most of her classes and can't see the board very well. I've been putting off the eye doctor appointment because I've been in denial that my little girl needs glasses. But yesterday we took the plunge and took her in. I realized that she has never had an eye exam, other than the little chart thing they do in elementary school each year. She thought the whole thing was quite bizarre. The doctor's assistant asked her if she was having any problems in school. Allison got a puzzled look on her face, hesitated, and then replied, "Oh, you mean like in seeing things?" I'm sure she was thinking why does this lady care how my grades are or how my jr. high social life is going? Problems in school? It was funny at the time, but it's one of those things you had to be there for. Her eyes aren't too bad...just slightly nearsighted and her perscription is only -.75. Nothing compared to Jordan's of -4.25! Poor guy, he's blind! It took her only about 10-15 minutes and about 10 tries to get her contacts in. We picked out some cute glasses too, just in case. The picture above is not one of the actual frames that she chose. She tried on so many that I stopped taking pictures. She walked around the store in awe of what she could read and see. She was thrilled to be able to read signs in the parking lot that she hadn't been able to see before. We talked about the blessings and miracles of modern technology and medicine and how lucky we are that we have them. This morning was a bit rough. She couldn't get her contacts in and ended up missing the bus. But she'll get the hang of it soon enough. That leaves me as the sole survivor in our family without contacts. I'm sure my day will come...especially as I'm quickly approaching old age, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do the whole contacts thing. You have to stretch your eyelids so much which can't be good for the whole wrinkles around the eyes situation. I think my mom is probably the only one who gets what I mean and is nodding her head as she reads this.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i'm nodding my head too. i hate wearing swim goggles for the same reason.
glad she can see.
I'll never forget my first pair of glasses, and what it was like to be able to see for the first time.
Allison will get the hang of contacts, they are a pain at first, but amazing once you get used to them.
I LOVE modern technology!
The confusion over how she was doing in school was too funny.
:-)
I'm glad she can see now
Pam
Oh she looks cute in those glasses. now she can be like my Rocky.
Welcome to the bad eye club Allison! I was in 7th grade when I got my first glasses too. Unfortunatly my eyes kept getting worse and worse for a few years. My prescription moved from Allison's level to Jordan's level. I'm so grateful for technology!!!
Post a Comment